Tuesday, December 28, 2010

It's A Night To Kick Your Shoes Off To


Hey there everybody! It's been just a few days, hasn't it? I've been a little preoccupied since Christmas, but I suppose it's high time I let you all in on my adventures these past 3 days. Story time, anyone?


So FRIDAY I woke up around 8-ish, and the images of sugar plums dancing in my head never came. Disappointed, I stumbled out of bed, almost zombie like, and looked over the awning of our loft area to see the tree littered with gifts under it's branches and the like. Action-falling down the stairs, I went into the kitchen, desperately looking for a cup that could help me capture a slug or two of water, satisfying my unbearable cotton mouth. It's like a personal curse of mine, and no matter what I do I always wake up thirsty as hell.

Anyways, I was waiting for mom to wake up so we could start tearing into the Christmas gifts. Satisfied with my cup of water for the time being, I sat on the couch for several minutes until dad realized I was up, and gave me this really interesting look. It was one of those "Are you on drugs?" looks. I seem to get that a lot. Oh whatever. He was surprised I wasn't asking about the gifts. But I was content, for I knew I would get to open them in due time, and I simply sat with a smug look on my face, taking a sip of water every few seconds. Shortly after that, he told me to go wake up mom, so I did. With the grace of well...me, my mother stumbled down the steps, her hands shaking like an earthquake victim. I swear, that woman needs a least 3 pots of coffee before she can even function properly. After the proper amount of caffeine, mom was ready to start opening gifts.

To save you, and myself time, I'll skip all the specifics, and just tell you what I got. Quite a treasure trove, I'll tell ya:
- 5-pack illustration marker pen set
- Season 1, 2, and 3 of Dexter (never watched it before, but it's EXCELLENT. Highly recommended)
- Inception
- Epic Mickey for Wii
- Pair of Converse shoes (brown, low-top, all-stars)
- 5 foot wall sticker of my senior picture with my guitar (where am I gonna put this thing?!)
- TomTom Navigation GPS (pretty nifty device, but sends me on strange, unnecessary routes sometimes)
- Sketchbook
- 24-pack of tropical colored Sharpie markers
- Pose-able desk lamp (really needed a new lamp. My old lamp I've had since I was zero years old)
- 100 stick package of Slim Jims (that is gonna be more of a gift for Damien, I can already tell)
- 3 custom t-shirts (sister Lindsay, I do love her!)
- 12 "I Eat Stickfigure" Bumper Stickers (also from my sister Lindsay, shown above)
- $50 Wal-Mart gift card (from my sister April, she thinks she doesn't spoil me already :/)
- A hell of a lot of iTunes money (from all over the family spectrum)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (recycled game from Damien, bless his heart)
- Stepbrothers (also from Damien. That kid knows how to make me laugh)

...Yeah, I was ridiculously spoiled. I always am on Christmas. Kinda makes me feel like a jerk when there's so many people I know who don't get a whole lot on Christmas, but my parents insist that I'm a good kid and I deserve it. Possibly.

Anyways, I had an amazing Christmas, and got so much more than I could have ever wanted. I'll tell you what though, I really did need that new pair of shoes. I've had my other pair for about a year and a half now, and there are more holes in them than swiss cheese, lemme tell ya.

 So SATURDAY...What the heck did I do Saturday...*shrugs*

SUNDAY I worked my regular 12 PM to phase shift, which starts out fast and then gets reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyy slow in the second half of the shift. Honestly, it made me want to pass bricks through my urinary tract. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working, but man do those 12-phase shifts wear me down. After I got home, Damien decided he wanted to come over after work, for he had the 4-close shift that night as well. We slept long, and slept well (well, not really). I woke up MONDAY morning to the sound of mom blaring Aerosmith with the new iPod Touch she got for Christmas. I love that woman.

After waking up, Damien went home, and I spent the majority of the day watching Dexter, and listening to music. To be honest, I was feeling like crap that day. Threw up and everything. Thought watching TV all day would be the safest idea. After waiting for my headache to go away, and not being gratified with this request, I hit the hay.

Woke up TUESDAY (TODAY) and drove to the dentists for my routine cleaning. No cavities, boo ya. After the dentist appointment, I drove home, gathered up my bass guitar equipment, and took a ride over to my buddy Drew Morgan's house (better known on the Interwebz as Boyd of Boyd's World fame).  He was throwing a little shindig at his place, and the mad maestro in my mind told me it would be worth the effort to bring my music equipment with me. Boy, was I right.

At the party, Drew's two-piece garage-rock outfit Crush Of Society played two of their songs, including I Don't Know and...I forget the name of the other one, but they kicked some major tail, and I can't wait to hear more! I also had a chance to perform my first song "We'll Watch The Lighthouse Fall Down" which seems to be a favorite among my peers, and a least favorite among myself. I absolutely slaughtered it, and could not focus correctly on the lyrics for some odd reason. Something about that song isn't right when I play it live. Anyhoo, I managed to redeem myself when we started a "12-Bar Blues" jam that lasted about 30 minutes, as I provided a crunchy bass rhythm, Stephen Lichota (my keyboardist and all around musical whiz) layed down some phat beats with the drums, Drew and his band-mate Bobby pulled out some truly righteous guitar riffs, and both had some badass solo's thrown into the mix as well. Then, to polish off the music playing for the night, Drew, Stephen and I performed a cover of Sex Bomb-Omb's "Threshold" from the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, which happens to be a favorite amongst the 3 of us. I played bass and did lead vocals, while Drew employed his awesome electric guitar skills, and Steph once again donned the role of drummer. Bobby did a recording of it with his video camera (which apparently is made specifically to record jam sessions by bands. Awesome, no?). Hopefully he'll float me a copy of the video so I can post it up. It was actually a half-way decent cover, done collectively between the 3 of us. I had an other-wordly time, I'll tell ya.

These past few days have been pretty amazy, not gonna lie. My arms hurt like no other though after all that 12-Bar Blues. Playing E, A, and B over and over again really does a number on you. Can't even close a fist without my forearm joints tightening up. Welp, work in the morning, and more work when I get home, so I'll give the blog a rest for the night. Hope you all had a great Christmas, and I'll see you around the watering hole. Peace out, and sweet dreams, Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment