Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Video Games, Ska Shows, and Bike Pedals (AKA "Real Life")

I know. I'm a sick, twisted, disgusting human being. And I love myself for it.
Greetings. I figured it was time to update you all on my endeavors over the past week, what with the whole "real life" thing getting started for me, or whatever. To be honest, so far it's been pretty damn good. I'm still working, and the days that I haven't been working, I've been hanging out with friends (mostly my beloved Jacob Scudder, who happens to be my second biological father. Please, don't ask...) and sitting at home mostly. I've done a wee bit of artwork, as you can see, as well as work on guitar and bass. To be completely honest though, most of the time I've spent sitting on my couch, playing video games. I can't tell you how good it feels to finally be able to do stuff like that again. I don't play them quite as much as I used to, and when I'm busy, I barely have time for them, which is a hard fact of life for me to swallow. I gain so much more from playing video games on the couch than just weight (the Oreos and I have a mutual understanding with one another), believe it or not. In fact, I'd bank that the reason why I'm so outspoken and imaginative with my work is because of all the time I spent as a youngin' racking up levels and collecting coins, controller in hand. I'd say it was one of the few things I actually enjoyed as a kid growing up, and I definitely wouldn't be who I am today if I was never given that little grey and purple box. Enough reminiscing though, that's for lame-o's.

Besides blowing the heads off mutant psycho midgets in Borderlands, I've been trying to expand my outdoor fun as well, seeing as how I'll be stuck sitting at a desk under a heat lamp for the next 4 years of my life once college starts. I've been going on bike rides, and I even took a trip to the beach with Jake yesterday. The water was pretty flippin' cold, but I strode into the water all the same. My friends were freaking out trying to figure out how I could just walk in like that, as they chilled themselves to the bone just dipping their toes in. What can I say? I've got the skin of an alligator, and the tolerance of a honey badger. I just don't give a shit.

While Jake and I were out and about, we also went to go see The Hangover Part II with his girlfriend, and her friend. I've never seen the first movie, but to be honest, it sounded way too overhyped to be as good as everyone said. About 1000 people told me it was the best movie ever made, and I immediately started to hate it, seeing as how I thought it looked like shit. Anyways, I went to go see the sequel, and it was meh. I liked the way the movie was filmed, and I enjoyed the plot to a degree, but as far as the humor content, I only let out a light chuckle I think twice. I just didn't find the movie to be humorous whatsoever. Maybe it's due to the fact that I feel no sympathy for people that do stupid things when they're drunk and wake up with a hangover, but I digress. I don't regret seeing it, but I definitely don't see how people could like it so much. I know, I know. Everyone's a critic.

On a slightly more awesome note, I've already made plans to see 3 different ska shows this Summer with my pals. I'll be seeing BAMF!, a fun-loving ska band with hardcore breakdowns at Frankie's Inner City in Toledo, Ohio next Tuesday, June 7th. Not only are they playing, but they'll also be selling copies of their brand new EP, Never Feed A Bear A Whole Pizza. Here's a sample:


On July 21st, I'll be seeing Streetlight Manifesto co-headline with Reel Big Fish at Clutch Cargo's in Pontiac, Michigan. These two bands got me into ska like no other, and I've been waiting for a chance like this for years. It's finally come. Here's a sample of Streetlight and RBF:



Finally, I plan on arranging a trip back to Frankie's Inner City in Toledo on September 23rd to catch Michigan based ska band, Mustard Plug perform! These guys are rapidly becoming one of my favorite ska bands, and there's no stopping the whirlwind that will tear apart Toledo when they perform that night. Here's a nice sample of their music as well:


And yes, I like ska, in case you didn't already notice. It's one of the purest, most upbeat forms of music I've ever listened to, and it makes my life so much happier when I'm listening to it. I recommend you do the same.

Other than that, I've just been kicking back, and enjoying the alumni life. I'll be in for a rude awakening before long, I'm sure, but for now, I'm just gonna sit back and suck up the spotlight. Have a nice week everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, you lucky, lucky man. Glad to hear the free life is treating you well!!

    Hey, um, got an extra seat on the way to Clutch Cargo? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Streetlight!

    And Ska music is indeed awesome. Usually the people who hate on it turn their noses up in disgust only because they've been brainwashed by the likes of mainstream radio. Either that or they don't realize the Gwen Stefani was once Ska.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Drew: Buddy, there's always room for you on the bandwagon. Hell, I consider it my obligation to take you, even if you didn't want to. YOU MUST EXPERIENCE THE SKA FIRSTHAND.

    @ Spazz: The thing that saddens me the most about today's society is that they claim they have such a wide range of musical taste, yet they are completely ignorant to the fact that genres such as ska or reggae even exist. In fact, some time ago, a kid actually asked me if bands that aren't on the radio are even considered "legit musicians." Unbelievable. Music study should be a required high school class, that covers EVERY genre. I'm proud of the amount of people I've introduced to the genre, but it's pathetic that I should even have to do it. I feel sorry for the youth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tanner!! From what I've been told, as I haven't had the time to go myself, The Hangover Part II is basically the first one in a different city. But you should still see the first one when you get a chance. =)

    ReplyDelete