Sunday, April 10, 2011

High Anxiety Mind


Hello again, my fellow internet patrons. How's everybody been doing? Good? You best be, cuz I've been fan-TASTIC. I've been on spring break for the past week, and I've basically been rockin' it out with my you-know-what out since it started. I've been spending an increased amount of time with my buddy Jacob Scudder (of czar fame), chilling out, playing Magic the Gathering (a new hobby I've been getting into), and even hitting up punk shows! Last night I went to go see The Suicide Machines at the Majestic Theater in Detroit, and MAN was it a blast. Bars of Gold, Hi fi Handgrenades, and foredirelifesake all opened up for them. Bars Of Gold got 5/10 for being somewhat original, but sort of out of place. Hi fi Handgrenades got 7.5/10 for having some catchy punk songs, and for doing a decent cover of "Coolidge" by Descendents, but sounding like a butt-load of punk bands I've listened to. foredirelifesake literally got a 1/10 for getting on stage. They're entire setlist consisted of 11 minutes songs, with 8 breakdowns in each song, all of them consisting of suckage and shitty screamo music. However, The Suicide Machines made all these bands look like boy scouts. The energy in the room that exploded when they got on stage was amazing. I moshed, jumped, and skanked like no other.


I'm not gonna lie, up until they got on stage, I wasn't feeling the energy that I thought I would. I basically stood in one spot uncomfortably throughout the show, occasionally moving to different spots between bands. My back was starting to kill from standing so long, but that was fixed once the Machines got on stage. They played some of their bigger hits like "New Girl" and "War Profiteering Is Killing Us All" but surprisingly, "High Anxiety" was absent from the set-list. Basically, crowd-surfing and beer throwing was abound. A guy even threw up in the pit near the end of the set-list. It was pretty gnarly. All in all, I got a few jabs to the face, and twisted my foot a bit, but it was all for the experience, and I loved every second of it. Punk shows are great.

Speaking of "New Girl"...Nah, actually, I'll save it for my next post. Hope you all had as great of a week as I did! Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Lucky lucky duck...but what about New Girl?? Who????

    ReplyDelete