Monday, March 14, 2011

It's To Be Expected



Updates, updates, updates...

Lots of happenings going on of late. 40 days of school left to go, but no time for anything, as it would seem. As I continue to droll on and on with my schoolwork, I feel a sense that although the school year is coming to an end, it's taking longer to end than it took me in the past 12+ years of my grade school career to even make it to this point. I dunno, I'm trying to enjoy my last few months here, but I'm finding it difficult to even sum up how I've been feeling, let alone apply it. I'm sure when the time comes, I'll miss coming to school and seeing everyone, and I'll miss all the fun times I had there, but I know I'm going to be taking a HUGE sigh of relief. It's like I've had to go to the bathroom for 12+ years, and I've had to hold it this whole time. Once I graduate, I can finally piss in the toilet of society like everyone else...I don't think I could have made a better metaphor there.

The spring musical is approaching. This Friday and Saturday, actually. Did I mention I was in the spring musical? Probably. Anyhoo, this event is fast approaching, and to be honest, we could use another 2 weeks of preparation. People are stumbling over song lyrics, forgetting lines that should have been memorized three weeks ago, and dance choreography is nothing but a jumbled mess. It's a little scary, but I think we can pull through it, like we always do. I think the major problem with this musical is confidence. Honestly, if we can stay confident throughout the play, people won't even realize we're messing up. The crappy part about it is that a lot of the kids who signed up for singing parts are sort of shrinking down when they try to do it. To be honest, I don't even think it matters if that person has a decent voice or not. I think it just needs to be projected with confidence, and the person needs to just get the lyrics down. That would impress me enough if I was an audience member. Speaking of me, I play a character by the name of Loco Moco. Basically, I'm a beach bum who has a rhyming disorder, and can't keep a beat at all. My role in the play is to sit and look uninterested through the bulk of the play, but chime in at random intervals as I try to rhyme. Of course, it ends up in failure every time. The problem with my character direction is that I tend to not know where I'm supposed to be placed a good majority of the time. I'm afraid I'm gonna be in the wrong place at the wrong time or something. Oh well, what's the worst that could happen, right? All in all, despite these few doubts and misgivings, I'm looking forward to doing the musical in it's completion. Regardless of our performance, I'm gonna have a blast.

On another note, prom is also coming up soon. It's about a month away, and tickets are on sale for the next couple of days. I know I want to go, but I've been feeling a reluctance towards it every time I think about buying my ticket. Something about it is just screaming "stay home, Tanner Simmons!" I can't decide what I want to do about that, but I better make my decision soon, because I have 3 days left to buy my ticket. My attempt at getting a date was cut short when the person I intended to ask told me she was waiting to buy her ticket, because she was waiting to get a guest pass for her friend outside of school that she was already going with. She asked me if I was going with anyone, in which I replied. "Nah, I'm just flying solo, I guess." I'm so smooth, even when I get knocked down a few pegs. I'm pretty alright with it, but to be honest, I really wish I would have at least had the chance to ask her. It always seems like I'm too late when it comes to that sort of thing. That, and I doubt I'll be involving myself with chicks for the next couple of years while I'm working on music/art stuff at college, so I thought it'd be a nice way to go out with a bang, at the very least. But, y'know. I'll get over it.

Another thing about me graduating (sorry for rambling about my troubles)...accelerated reader tests. I have to take 3 accelerated reader tests and pass them by the time I graduate in order to get my diploma. I'm doing the Lord of the Rings trilogy, because I already had a pretty familiar basis on what happens, from watching the movies and whatnot. Let me tell you: It's the worst feeling in the world when I have to come home from school and spend the rest of my day reading and studying for these tests, among homework and my other school-related activities. Frankly, high school's got me by the balls. I'm taking two of my three tests tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be prepared enough and ready to pass them both. Once I do, I'll feel so much better. Despite the overpowering rule these book tests have had over me these past few weeks, I am enjoying the book series. At first, I didn't like it, but I've actually grown to appreciate the text. I just wish I had more time for other things, like hanging out with friends, or drawing...or blogging.

Sleep is also starting to catch up with me. I'm having the hardest time figuring out if I'm truly narcoleptic or not. On the smallest amounts of sleep I'll feel like I'm bursting with energy when I wake up, but when I sleep normally, I wake up writhing at how unbelievably tired and lifeless I feel. For instance, I got in a good 5 and a half hours of sleep last night, yet I woke up with more energy then I normally have, but after I got home I took a quick nap that was supposed to last a half hour, and ended up sleeping for three. Three stinking hours. Grr, I hate my body's sleep patterns. Maybe someday I'll transcend the limitations of the human body, and I'll be able to stay awake all the time. I'll just go meditate under a waterfall...or something.

On a lighter note, I've got some big plans lined up for school pretty soon. Near the end of the month, the rest of my digital media buddies and I are planning on taking a field day at school with our art teacher Mr. Dewey, and going to see either Sucker Punch or Rango in IMAX. Last year, we went to go see Alice In Wonderland, which was arguably one of the most memorable school days I ever had. Can't wait for that. Also, the Lip Sync Contest put on by the school Spanish Club is next Wednesday, and I plan on doing "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by The Darkness. I'm gonna try and look as 80s hair metal as I can possibly be.

So, all in all, I've been good, just busy busy busy. But y'know, it's to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment