Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Distractions For Better Modern Living (And So Can You!)


Oi! How have you all been? Sorry (once again) for my infrequent posting, but I've actually been gaining some pretty fabulous brownie points with life, as it were. I've been having some pretty spectacular times these past few weeks, so I'm just going to do a quick some up, cuz I don't wanna make this a long one:

- Went to Cedar Point with my buddy Jake, his girlfriend Erin, and her cousin Elysia. We had a grand ol' time (although we almost died several times driving there and back. Monroe, MI is scary as shit at 1 in the morning).

- Got my birthday gift in advance, due to my parents having no idea what I wanted this year. They agreed to replace my iPod, which they ordered on the spot! Yay, I have my music again!




- Went to the Port Huron Music Center with my buddy Damien for his birthday to get him a capo, and I fell in love. I rediscovered an instrument that I always wanted as a child: a pianica.

I bought one the following morning when I went up to Port Huron with my dad. He had errands to run, so I thought I'd hop on the carpool train. Alright, this next part is a doozy.


- So I go and keep the pianica at the counter so nobody else can steal it while we're still just looking around the store (as if anybody else but me would want a pianica...). I sit down at this Yamaha keyboard, and just start messing with it, changing the effects on it and whatnot, improv playing random stuff, just hitting keystrokes with my fingers. My dad just sits there and watches me play it. A lady from the store comes up and tells us about all the features on it and the quality of the instrument and whatnot, and my dad is just watching me play this whole time. Out of the blue, my dad asks how much the keyboard costs. $400. And then he says "Okay, we'll take it." So, beyond my understanding, my dad bought this keyboard with his leftover fur money that he made, because he already bought all the tools/materials he needed for the winter, and because he wanted me to have this keyboard, even though I wasn't intending on learning how to play something like keyboard for at least a few years. So yeah. Now my loft is just covered in instruments, but this isn't a bad thing. Not at all.

- Went up to the Cool City Games hobby shop in Port Huron the next week with my buddies Jake, Adam, and Joe to look at some Magic cards. I was checking out this grab box the store had made of these $2 plastic wrapped, 40 card packs. All the cards in the pack were chosen randomly, showing the two guaranteed rare cards on the front and back sides. There were I'd say about 100 of these in this box they had, and they advertised that 15 of them had all rare cards in them. Let's just say I lucked out, because I spent $8 on 4 of these packs, and 2 of them were all rares. Hell yes...I'm a nerd, deal with it.

Other than that, I haven't been doing much except playing a lot of music, working, playing Minecraft (trying not to get addicted), and drawing here and there. Speaking of which, I think I'm finding myself in an art rut. I've been having difficulty thinking of things to draw, and just being creative when I do it in general. I blame all my distractions (mostly the Internet) for this, but the sketch at the top of my post is one of my most recent works, and I'm pretty happy with the fact that I haven't lost any of my skill, at least. Oh well, I guess just keep drawing and we'll see what happens, right?

Also, in some more unrelated news, found a band that I found quite interesting while browsing Vampire Weekend videos on YouTube the other night:

 
I found them to my liking. You should too.

Anyways, that's about all I've got for you guys this time, so catch me next week after I go to see MUSTARD PLUG at Frankie's Inner City in Toledo! It's gonna be a blowout night, for sure. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment